Moms with Teens

Sandsam
13 yr old dd threatens suicide when mad
by Sandsam
March 22, 2012 at 9:05 AM

I could really use your help. Last night my 13 yr dd and I had a disagreement over TV and her report card. She's not supposed to watch TV on school nights. I have cable blocked on school nights - so now she tapes shows and watches them. Her report card came in the mail 2 nights ago. She has it and won't let me see it. After attempted discussions last night from which she just walked away, I told her she lost her phone/text for a week. Her immediate response - 'this is why I hate living here and want to kill myself.' - and then walked away.

I think she is bluffing, and is saying this to get a reaction. It has happened just once before. But of course I cannot be 100% certain. She has no other suicidal signs. Point to note: a school friend of hers died last year from the hanging game (choked herself).

Dd has been openly defiant to me in other ways. I don't like the direction I am seeing.

What do I do? Do I take her to counseling because 1) she might be suicidal, or 2) if she isn't, her suicidal threats are not approprirate. Or do I let this incident pass?

I tried to talk to her again last night and now she won't talk to me. I turned off her phone to follow through on my threat.

Replies

• Maryah02
    March 28, 2012 at 11:49 AM

My daughter threatened to kill herself a month a go when I took away her makeup as part of a punishment when she ran away for 2 days.  I had to follow through, I let the school know and they said call the police, she was issued a 5150 "suicidal".  She went to the emergency room, then an assessment center, it was a lot of drama and she was released as "not suicidal".  She is seeking counseling.  I think it's best to take these threats seriously.

• KarenT214
    April 7, 2012 at 12:02 AM

Quoting PurpleHazey:

Quoting tyfry7496:

Take her to the ER and let them do a psych evaluation or take her to counseling. And you take the report card from her. Don't you have online access to grades? Call the school and PICK UP a report card.

What's the ER going to do for her? I have a real problem with people over using the ER...All the Doctors are going to tell her is take charge of your own child and that the hospital is for the sick or hurt.

This is DEFINITELY NOT a case of overusing the ER. Teen suicide is a real threat. A boy at my daughter's nigh school killed himself jumping off the 3 story roof of the school into the quad just at the lunch bell. This devestated everyone at the school. The the horrible thing is - now there is a heightened alert for the rest of the students because historically, there is an increased threat of "cluster" suicides when this happens in high schools. My own daughter was taken by the police to a psych ER 3 weeks after this event because she admitted suicidal thoughts - even had a plan. They kept her for 72 hours observation and now we are in therapy and pins and needles wondering if it was for real. You never know. You have NO IDEA!

• PurpleHazey
    April 7, 2012 at 8:58 AM

Quoting KarenT214:

Quoting PurpleHazey:

Quoting tyfry7496:

Take her to the ER and let them do a psych evaluation or take her to counseling. And you take the report card from her. Don't you have online access to grades? Call the school and PICK UP a report card.

What's the ER going to do for her? I have a real problem with people over using the ER...All the Doctors are going to tell her is take charge of your own child and that the hospital is for the sick or hurt.

This is DEFINITELY NOT a case of overusing the ER. Teen suicide is a real threat. A boy at my daughter's nigh school killed himself jumping off the 3 story roof of the school into the quad just at the lunch bell. This devestated everyone at the school. The the horrible thing is - now there is a heightened alert for the rest of the students because historically, there is an increased threat of "cluster" suicides when this happens in high schools. My own daughter was taken by the police to a psych ER 3 weeks after this event because she admitted suicidal thoughts - even had a plan. They kept her for 72 hours observation and now we are in therapy and pins and needles wondering if it was for real. You never know. You have NO IDEA!

I agree you have no idea, there is a psych ward but it is not at our ER, in-fact they just took our neighbor to one a few days ago and she was taken to the psych hospital not the regular hospital. 

• KarenT214
    April 8, 2012 at 2:35 PM

If you believe your child or someone is suicidal - you (or police or ambulance) take them to the ER. They will figure out where to take them from there and how to determine what to do next. ER stands for emergency and suicide is definitely an emergency.

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts