Moms with Teens

family0530
what to do? why? what the hell?
December 20, 2011 at 6:23 PM

Quote Like Reply to Post

ok my 9yr old won't stop lieing and stealing. she stole a pair of earings from the dollar store, a bag of gold charms from a friend, and now things from the teacher with friends (eraser, note pads) she got oss from school today. so i took everything out of her room but her reading books. how do i make her stop? i'm afraid this will get her taken away from me. everytime  she lies i find out an get the truth after nagging her. these kids r doing this way too early. things i did at 13,14 they do now at 9 an 10. what the hell.

Replies

• jamieforbus
    December 20, 2011 at 7:00 PM
    My 13 year old did that years ago I made her take the stuff back to the store and tell them what she did plus pay them for the stuff then I made her donate the stuff to the goodwill plus her life as she knew it was over for a month after that I never had any problems with her she is now 17
  • PurpleHazey
    December 20, 2011 at 7:55 PM

Is she ADD, I would have her tested, I would say something is wrong...maybe she is Bipolar.

• PurpleHazey
    December 20, 2011 at 7:56 PM

Quoting jamieforbus:

My 13 year old did that years ago I made her take the stuff back to the store and tell them what she did plus pay them for the stuff then I made her donate the stuff to the goodwill plus her life as she knew it was over for a month after that I never had any problems with her she is now 17

That may work for an older child but at 9, I would say she is ADD or maybe bipolar, A trip to the doctors office to be test is what I would do.

• bizzeemom2717
    December 20, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Quoting PurpleHazey:

Is she ADD, I would have her tested, I would say something is wrong...maybe she is Bipolar.

WHOA...that is quite a leap! I wouldn't assume she has a clinical disorder, but do agree a visit to a counselor is in order, she sounds like she's angry or upset about something.

• jamieforbus
    December 20, 2011 at 8:35 PM
    Well I have a son that's adhd and never had that problem sometimes tuff love wiLl do the job!!
  • MrsBLB
    by MrsBLB
    December 20, 2011 at 9:37 PM

I don't think she is too young to take things back.  Consequences that fit the action.  She understands stealing is wrong and that telling lies makes it worse.  She will understand the shame and embarrassment of taking it back.

It's tough, especially at such a young age.  Where do you think she learned this?

• momofne
    by momofne
    December 20, 2011 at 10:25 PM

Oh yeah I agree and if they want to press charges then so be it. Sometimes they have to learn the hard way.

Quoting MrsBLB:

I don't think she is too young to take things back.  Consequences that fit the action.  She understands stealing is wrong and that telling lies makes it worse.  She will understand the shame and embarrassment of taking it back.

It's tough, especially at such a young age.  Where do you think she learned this?

• fantasticfour
    December 21, 2011 at 1:01 AM

My nephew stole gum from the store one time with me there.  When I found out I went back to the store with him in tow.  The managers all knew me since I was always in there.  I made him tell them what he did and give it back to them.  They made a big to do about it and he's never had that problem since!  I don't know what to do other than find out why she is doing it.   Perhaps her friends?

• fammatthews4
    December 21, 2011 at 7:30 AM
    If this is a continuing problem there may be another issue. My suggestion would be to get her into counseling and try to get to the bottom of it.
  • family0530
    December 21, 2011 at 10:50 AM

Quoting PurpleHazey:

yes she is adhd, went to the doctor an he has her going to talk to someone. she has been on meds for about 6 months now.

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts