Moms with Teens

unsettledinutah
Ungrateful much?
December 17, 2011 at 5:33 PM

A little background-- I have 5 kids, 2 teen girls ages 16 and 15, a tween girl age 10, and boy, 8, girl, 6.  Anyway, I left their father, my husband of 17 years back in August and obtained a protection order against him.  My teen girls decided to stay with their father so they didn't have to change high schools.  Even though I had been awarded custody, I gave custody of them to my ex, and let them stay even though it was the hardest thing I ever did.  I didn't want to force them out of their schools and away from their friends. 

In September I started Nursing School, and have been struggling to make ends meet.  I can't work until next semester because the fall semester has been so intense (investing 65 hours +/wk in class, clinicals and studying).  I decided to get the oldest two iphones because it would cost me little upfront, and most teens want those.  I will have to pay more over the year for them, but at least it's not all at once and they would get a nice gift for Christmas.  So I call my 16-year-old and ask her if she would like an iPhone.  She says, well yes but not if it has less than 16 GB of memory, because 8 GB was just not enough.  Well the phone I was going to get her was a 3G iPhone with 8 GB of memory.  I cannot afford the more expensive phone.  So what do I do?  Get her nothing?  Try to come up with the money for the more expensive phone? I have gotten her a $200 plus iPod every year because she is constantly losing them.  I just don't feel like I want to do it again! At some point she needs to learn that money doesn't grow on trees, especially since it's so tight right now.

I feel like she is being ungrateful and greedy!!!!  What would you do if this were your teen?

Replies

• fammatthews4
    December 17, 2011 at 5:59 PM

This is my opinion:

1) I have the 8G Iphone and I think it's just fine

2) if she keeps losing ipods I wouldn't get her an iphone

• mama2three717
    December 17, 2011 at 6:05 PM
    do iPhones not have an expandable memory card slot? if they do 8gigs is more than enough with a memory card.
  • loving_sitter95
    December 17, 2011 at 6:27 PM
    I'm 16, and I would be absolutely grateful no matter what.
    IMHO your daughter sounds like like a ungrateful spoiled brat. To answer your question, you should tell her, you know if you want more then 8GB you can earn the rest of what it would be to get a 16GB instead of the 8.
  • jamieforbus
    December 17, 2011 at 6:27 PM
    I have 3G iPhone and I have plenty of room!!!!!
  • atlmom2
    by atlmom2
    December 17, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Once mine lose anything, they pay for it the next time.  I can afford to buy them another but I wouldn't ever do it.   Mine do not have and never will have I Phones.  They have an I touch. 

• 02nana07
    December 17, 2011 at 7:49 PM

Give her a card with $20 and call it christmas she doesn't deserve the expensive phone is she is ungrateful.  She said the expensive or none so she would get none.  I wouldn't get her anything expensive if she doesn't take care of it anyway but that is me.

• mumsy2three
    December 17, 2011 at 8:36 PM

It would be hard for me to buy her the phone at all if she made the not less than 16GB comment. I think 8 GB of memory is fine. I would also tell her if she loses the phone it won't be replaced. 

• Jessiejack
    December 17, 2011 at 9:07 PM
    I might give her a gift card for the 8 and if she wants the one for more than she needs to pay the extra money.
  • bcauseimthemom
    December 17, 2011 at 9:09 PM

Honestly, I would get her nothing or else get her something small that you are able to afford.

• luckysevenwow
    December 17, 2011 at 9:36 PM

I have an 8g 3g and it is more then enough. I have over 400 pictures and about just as many songs. Tons of app's and lord knows what else. If she feels that isn't enough and that it isn't what she wants then I wouldn't get it for her. Instead get her some gift card and let her spend it however she wants.

Moms with Teens

Active Posts in All Groups
More Active Posts
Featured Posts in All Groups
More Featured Posts